Wilfrid Laurier University Undergraduate Academic Calendar - 2013/2014
Canadian Excellence

Undergraduate Academic Calendar 2013/2014

Contact Us:

J Bell
email: jbell@wlu.ca
phone: 6350


Counselling Services

Director, Counselling Services: TBD

Counselling Services is dedicated to supporting the personal development, emotional wellness and academic success of our students. Counsellors have graduate level training in the areas of clinical psychology, counselling psychology and/or social work and experience with student-specific issues.

Office Location: Upper floor, Student Services Centre (across from Health Services)
Office Hours: Monday, Thursday, Friday 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.; Tuesday, Wednesday, 8:30 a.m. to 8:00 p.m.

Services are free to registered Laurier students and are offered throughout the year with reduced hours during the summer months. Visit the website for hours, special events, unexpected closures and appointment procedures.

Phone: 519-884-0710, ext. 2338
Fax: 519-725-4085
Email: counselling@wlu.ca
Website: www.mylaurier.ca/counselling

Counselling Services offers an intake appointment to all students who present to our department with the goal of clarifying the student's concerns and offering professional recommendations regarding counselling options appropriate for such issues. Often, the student's needs can be met at Counselling Services, using our short-term counselling model (approximately five sessions per year). On occasion, we will recommend a counselling service in the Kitchener-Waterloo community if we assess that such services would be a better match for the student's needs.

Intake appointments are offered daily, during designated walk-in times, (currently Monday to Friday from 9 to 12). We also offer daily crisis appointments, which are intended for students who have concerns regarding their safety, or who have recently experienced a traumatic event. To access a crisis appointment, students may present to our office or call ext. 2338. After-hours or in life-threatening situations, students may contact the Special Constables (ext. 3333), contact community crisis services, (see the crisis service information on our website), or call 911.

Pamphlets, handouts and other self-help material are also available in the Counselling Office or on the website listed above.