Music Option

An Option in music consists of 4.0 credits from courses in each of three categories
Culture and Society (C), Performance and Production (P) and Style and Structure (S).

1.5 Credits Required Courses: 0.5-credit from each of the three categories (C, P and S):
C: MU100
P: one of MU181 (Note 1,2), MU146 (Note 1), MU160, or an Approved External Ensemble (Note 3)
S: one of MU121(OC), MU161, MU162.

2.5 Credits of Music Courses at the 200-level or higher, with at least one 0.5 credit from each of the lists of courses (S, C, and P) below. Note that some courses have pre-requisites.

C: MU202, MU203, MU208, MU240, MU243, MU274, MU275, MU302, MU304, MU308, MU310, MU340, MU341, MU343, MU353*, MU368, MU402, MU470, MU472, MU473, MU474, MU475.
P: MU200, MU201A-T, MU246, MU251T, MU269, MU281, MU344, MU381, MU481 (Note 4)
S: MU242, MU265, MU266, MU267, MU268, MU270, MU271, MU342, MU372, MU373, MU374, MU375, MU377, MU378, MU291, MU293, MU387.

Additional Information
Program Notes

  1. An audition may be required; consult the Faculty of Music academic advisor.
  2. Normally MU181@C (University choir), although students may audition for any of the Faculty of Music ensembles during Orientation week if they play an appropriate instrument at a Royal Conservatory of Music Grade VIII level.
  3. Students may petition to have the 100-level Performance and Production requirement waived if they participate in an auditioned community ensemble, such as the KW Symphony Youth Orchestra, Grand Philharmonic Choir, etc. Students are advised to check with the Faculty of Music prior to registering for such an ensemble if they intend to use it to fulfil the Music Minor in order to ensure the ensemble will qualify. Note that an Option will require a total of 4.0 credits earned through courses taken at Laurier (including 2.0 credits on a letter of permission: Residence Requirements in Note 5).
  4. Students may also use courses from the Modern Audio Arts program at Conestoga College to satisfy a 0.5 credit elective in Music Production, on a letter of permission (Residence Requirements Note 5).
  5. Students can only declare one of the Option or Minor in Music.
  6. The option is only available at the Waterloo Campus.
  7. BMus and BMT students cannot declare the Music Option.
  8. Refer to University-wide Regulations Governing all Options/Minors.