Honours BSc Chemistry and Mathematics
The Honours BSc Chemistry and Mathematics program consists of a minimum of 20.0 credits, and all required elements are contained in the following recommended schedule (refer to Note 1):
2.0 CH elective credits at the 300 or 400 level (refer to Note 4)
1.5 additional MA or ST elective credits at the 300 or 400 level (must include MA489 if CH490‡ is not taken)
1.0 elective credit (refer to Note 2)
- While the above schedule constitutes the recommended sequence by which all program requirements are satisfied, other valid sequences are possible. However, many of the required courses have one or more prerequisites and students are advised to be cautious in departing from the recommended schedule.
- Electives must include at least 1.0 credit from outside of the major discipline(s) of which 0.5 credit must be from a discipline outside of those offered by the Faculty of Science.
- For progression into Year 2 of the program, the requirements include a minimum average GP of 5.00 in Year 1 MA and ST courses, a minimum average GP of 5.00 in CH130 and CH131 and an overall GPA of 5.00. For progression into Year 3 and Year 4, and for graduation, the requirements include a minimum average GP of 5.00 in Chemistry, Mathematics and Statistics courses and an overall GPA of 5.00. Students who would like to switch into this program after Year 1, but who completed CH110/111 or CH120/121, must consult with the undergraduate advisor for the Chemistry and Biochemistry Department on a progression pathway and earning credit for CH130 and CH131.
- Students who are not planning to enroll in CH490‡ in Year 4 must enroll in CH390 in Year 3. Students who plan to enroll in CH490‡ in Year 4 are encouraged to enroll in CH390 in Year 3 but are not required to do so and may replace CH390 with a 0.5 CH elective credit.
- The program must include at least 1.0 400 level MA credit (including MA489, if taken).
- Senior honours students are expected to attend all department seminars.
- Based on the results of the Calculus Preparation Evaluation, an entering student may be advised to complete MA102 prior to completing MA103; then MA102 and MA103 would be completed in Year 1 and MA104 would be completed in Year 2.