Honours BSc Water Science and Environmental Health
The Honours BSc Water Science and Environmental Health with or without co-op is a 20.0 credit interdisciplinary program designed for 1st or 2nd year entry. The program will train students in the underlying scientific principles and theory pertaining to the physical, chemical and biological properties of water, and use an integrative, multi-disciplinary approach to illustrate how these can be applied to improve the management and conservation of water and land resources.
The program shall include no more than 6.5 100 level credits and at least 13.5 senior credits.
WASC202, WASC302, WASC303, WASC304, WASC401, WASC403;
BI110, BI111, BI206, and 1.0 credit from BI236, BI256, BI266, BI276;
CH110, CH111, CH233, CH234;
GG101, GG281, GG282, GG381, GG389;
GL101 and PC141;
MA100, MA101, ST231;
and at least 3.5 credits of Eligible Water Science and Environmental Health Electives in BI, CH, GESC and GG (see list below).
Eligible Water Science and Environmental Health Electives:
3.5 credits required of which at least 2.0 credits must be at the 300 and/or 400 level, refer to Notes 3 and 4.
BI196, BI226, BI236, BI256, BI266, BI276, BI300, BI302, BI305, BI306, BI309, BI338, BI358, BI363, BI368, BI374, BI390, BI393, BI400, BI405, BI456, BI458, BI459, BI463, BI468, BI475, BI476, BI484, BI488, BI499‡.
CH202, CH203, CH225, CH226, CH250, CH261, CH262, CH303, CH306, CH327, CH350, CH354, CH355, CH360, CH419, CH490‡.
Geography and Environmental Studies:
GESC258, GG336, GG361, GG382, GG384, GG385, GG387, GG388, GG481, GG482, GG489, GESC450*.
Degree Program Electives
An additional 4.0 elective credits, refer to Note 2.
- For progression in the program and for graduation a GPA of at least 5.00 in WASC, BI, CH, GG and GESC required courses (including Eligible Water Science and Environmental Health Electives and an overall GPA of 5.00 (C) is required. Refer to the University Regulations chapter for progression and course regulations and the earlier section regarding Regulations for All Honours Programs.
- Degree Program Electives (4.0 credits in the Program) must include at least 0.5 credits outside of Science and Physical Geography. A maximum of 2.0 credits can be at the 100 level and 2.0 credits must be senior.
- The program requires 3.5 credits of Eligible Water Science and Environmental Health Electives in Biology, Chemistry and Geography of which at least 2.0 credits must be at the 300/400 level. Selection of these courses requires careful planning as prerequisites and scheduling may limit choices for subsequent course availability. Students are expected to distribute their courses across the 3 disciplines of the major.
- Eligible Water Science and Environmental Health Electives can include a 4th year Honours Research Thesis in either Biology (BI499‡), Chemistry and Biochemistry (CH490‡) or Geography and Environmental Studies (GESC450*). Students interested in a research thesis should consult with an academic advisor (typically before February of 3rd year) to learn about admission requirements and application procedures. A Thesis is not guaranteed and depends on securing a faculty supervisor.
- Water Science and Environmental Health majors may not declare a minor in Biology nor Geography.
BI110, BI111, CH110, CH111,
GG101, MA100, MA101.
One of either GL101 or PC141.
1.0 credit elective (refer to Note 2).
WASC202, BI206, CH233, CH234, ST231.
GG281, GG282 and 0.5 credit from BI236, BI256, BI266, BI276.
One of either GL101 or PC141 (not taken in Year 1).
0.5 credit elective (refer to Note 2).
WASC302, WASC303, WASC304,
0.5 credit from BI236, BI256, BI266, BI276 (not taken in Year 2; See Note 3),
GG381 and 1.5 credits of Eligible Program Electives (refer to Notes 3 and 4).
1.0 credit elective (Note 2).
GG389 and 2.0 credits of Eligible Program Electives (refer to Notes 3 and 4).
1.5 credit elective (Note 2).