Honours BA Human Rights and Human Diversity and LLB (Sussex) Stream
The Honours BA Human Rights and Human Diversity (Sussex LLB Stream) enables students who successfully complete its requirements to earn an Honours Bachelor of Arts (BA) degree from Laurier and a Bachelor of Laws (LLB) degree from the University of Sussex, United Kingdom (UK) in six years.
Honours BA Human Rights and Human Diversity Component
The Honours BA in Human Rights and Human Diversity is only available at the Brantford Campus. It consists of 20.0 credits of which no more than 7.0 credits may be at the 100 level. A minimum of 10.0 credits are required for the Human Rights and Human Diversity major.
All students in the program must complete successfully the Foundations curriculum: BF190, BF199, BF290, BF299.
Prior to departing for studies at the University of Sussex, students must have completed the 10.0 credits that are listed under Year 1 and Year 2 below. Due to the compacted nature of the Sussex Stream, students are strongly encouraged to pursue their degree in the following manner:
Honours BA Human Rights and Human Diversity (Sussex) LLB Stream
|1|| HR100, HR200,
BF190, BF199, BF290, BF299,
2.0 elective credits
|2||HR260/SOJE260, HR261, HR323, HR328; OL233/CC233/HS233 or DMJN208, (Students considering graduate studies are strongly encouraged to select OL233/CC233/HS233. Note: DMJN208 prerequisite of DMJN101 or DMJN202.)
1.0 credit selected from: HR231, HR301/OL301, HR320/YC320, CC325/HR325, CC326/HR326, HR329/HS329, HR360;
0.5 credit selected from: HR232/LY232, HR263, HR355/SOJE355, HR361*, HR365/YC365, HR370/SOJE370;
1.0 additional 200 or 300 level HR credits
|3-5||Students pursue an LLB at the University of Sussex. Upon successful completion of their LLB, students will be awarded 5.0 transfer credits equivalent to HR300, 2.0 senior HR credits and 2.5 senior elective credits
One of: CC315/OL315, CC327, CC426, DMJN328, EN303, HS321, OL335 [Note: Some of these courses have prerequisites and students may require the permission of the department offering the course in order to enrol. Students are therefore encouraged to plan ahead in order to meet requirements in a timely manner.]
0.5 additional 200 or 300 level HR credit,
0.5 elective credit,
2.5 Laurier Sussex Law stream credits to prepare students to write the National Accreditation exams leading to legal practice in Canada
- Progression to Year 2 requires completion of five credits during Year 1 with a minimum cumulative GPA of 7.00 in all Human Rights and Human Diversity courses and a minimum cumulative GPA of 8.00 in all 5.0 credits. All credits taken during Year 1 will be included in the GPA requirements for progression into Year 2. These course and GPA requirements must be achieved by August 31.
- To be recommended for application to the Sussex LLB program in year three, students must have maintained a minimum overall GPA of 8.0 (B) over all credits completed over their first three full terms (i.e, minimum 7.5 credits). These course and GPA requirements must be achieved by December 31 of the students' second year.
- Refer to the University Regulations chapter for progression and course regulations and the earlier section regarding Regulations for All Honours Programs.
- Students will apply to Sussex via the standard Sussex application procedures. Students will apply through the Universities and Colleges Admissions Service (UCAS) for entry. Students will provide Sussex full application documents, including high school and university transcripts, references (Laurier students will submit references on a standardized reference form), and a personal statement, in line with normal admissions procedures. Sussex will consider applications according to its normal procedures. Students will be guaranteed an offer of a place if they meet the progression requirements described above and where students have achieved Sussex's standard English language entrance requirements, where appropriate.
- Note: The University of Sussex reserves the right not to provide a guaranteed offer after consideration of any relevant unspent criminal convictions a student may have. Sussex recommends that if students have a conviction, Laurier contact the Admissions Office to discuss this before proceeding further.
- Transfer Students into Year 2 (WLU only):
In exceptional cases, first-year students outside of the Sussex BA/LLB Program may apply to transfer into the Program. Admission into the Program is at the sole discretion of the Sussex Admissions Committee. Normally, a student's application will not be accepted unless the following non-exhaustive conditions are met:
- As of May 1 of the applicant's first year, the student has completed 5.0 credits, and;
- The student's overall GPA is at least 8.00, and at least 7.00 for all courses within the student's major, and;
- The program at WLU or at Sussex has space for more students, and;
- The committee believes that the student will succeed in the program, according to any evidence it deems relevant.