Honours BA Financial Mathematics and Honours Bachelor of Business Administration
This double degree program provides qualified students the opportunity to gain expertise in business models and management practices, and the theory and quantitative methods fundamental to the financial and related sectors. This BBA/BA program consists of a minimum of 26.0 credits and normally requires at least 10 academic terms, over 4 2/3 calendar years of study, to complete all requirements.
Students normally enter this program in a Fall term. Students who satisfy the progression requirements for entry to Year 2 are guaranteed entry into the Co-operative Education, but this is not mandatory. The progression requirements of each program (the Honours BBA and the Honours BA Financial Mathematics) must be satisfied in order to receive both degrees.
On successful completion of this program, students will be eligible to attend the convocation ceremonies in SBE and in Science and will receive the Honours BBA degree and the Honours BA Financial Mathematics degree at the respective convocations.
Students must meet the following conditions in each year of the program by August 31:
Minimum GPA of 7.00 in Business (BU) courses,
minimum GPA of 5.0 in Mathematics (MA) and Statistics (ST) courses and
an overall GPA of 5.0 in non-Business, non-Mathematics, non-Statistics courses;
completion of 5.0 required and elective credits, including the required Business and Mathematics credits in the program outline
Completion of all 26.0 required and elective credits;
minimum GPA of 7.0 in BU courses;
minimum GPA of 5.0 in MA and ST courses;
minimum GPA of 5.0 in non-BU, non-MA, non-ST courses.
- Students who do not meet the requirements in one of the Honours subjects, will progress into the subsequent year of the one Honours program for which they have met the requirements, then all the regulations for that single Honours program will apply. Students who have not met the graduation requirements due to low GPA must do so within one calendar year to graduate with the double degree.
- Based on the results of the Calculus Preparation Evaluation, an entering student may be advised to complete MA102 prior to completing MA103; then MA102 would be completed in Fall term of Year 1, MA103 would be completed in Winter term of Year 1, MA104 would be completed in Fall term of Year 2 and MA207 would be completed in Spring term of Year 3. Students who have credit for MA102 require 1.5 open elective credits. Students who do not have credit for MA102 require a 0.5 non-BU elective along with 1.5 open elective credits.
- MA121 and MA122 can be completed in Fall and Winter terms of Year 1 in any order.
Below is a suggested schedule within which all program requirements can be fulfilled.
MA103, MA104, MA121, MA122, MA170, MA201, MA205, MA207, MA222, MA250, ST259, ST260, MA270, MA307 or MA371, ST359, MA370, MA451, MA470; two of MA350, MA372, MA455, ST474, ST490; and at least 1.5 additional senior MA or ST credits at the 300 or 400 level;
BU111, BU121, BU127, BU231, BU247, BU275, BU283, BU288, BU352, BU354, BU362, BU375, BU393, BU398, BU415 or BU486, BU481, BU491 and at least 2.5 additional senior BU credit;
|1||BU111, BU127, EC120, MA103, MA122
||BU121, EC140, MA104, MA121, MA170
||EC250 or EC260 (may be taken online during Year 1, 2 or 3)
|GPA requirements for both Business and non-Business courses must be achieved by August 31 for progression into Year 2. Total course repeats may not exceed a maximum of 1.5 credit. All credits taken during Year 1 will be included in the GPA requirements for progression into Year 2. A total of 5.0 credits must be completed by August 31 for progression to Year 2.|
|2||BU231, BU247, MA104 (if not taken in Year 1) or MA207, MA222, ST259
||BU283, BU288, MA201, MA270, ST260
||Co-op Work Term #1
|A total of 10 credits must be completed by August 31 for progression to Year 3.|
|3||BU352, BU354, BU393, MA370, ST359
||Co-op Work Term #2
|A total of 15 credits must be completed by August 31 for progression to Year 4.|
|4||Co-op Work Term #3
||BU362, BU375, BU398, MA307 or MA371, 0.5 elective (BU397 if in accounting)||BU415 or BU486; BU481, 1.0 BU elective; 0.5 MA or ST elective
The required 300-level Business courses in Year 4 are an integrated set which must be taken concurrently. A total of 20.0 credits must be completed for progression to Year 5.
||MA451, 0.5 elective
||BU491, MA470, 1.5 BU elective (Fall or Winter), 2.0 MA or ST elective (Fall or Winter)
- Students are encouraged to select Co-op Education. If co-op is not selected, then different academic plans for completion of this double degree program are possible. Students should consult the Business Department and the Mathematics Department to ensure program requirements are met.
- The above outline incorporates the prerequisite structure in BU, EC, MA and ST courses. Students are strongly advised to consult with academic advisors before altering their academic plan.
- ENTR courses are considered BU electives, but are included in the non-BU GPA. BU elective credits cannot be used for progression during Year 1 and 2. However, as an additional elective credit, the elective will count in the GPA.