Honours BSc Biology and Chemistry
The Honours BSc Biology and Chemistry program consists of a minimum of 20.0 credits, including at least 6.0 senior credits in Biology and 6.5 senior credits in Chemistry. Students may use their senior Biology courses to fulfill the requirements for one of three concentrations and/or research specialization. Additionally, one of three Chemistry concentrations may be declared using Chemistry course electives. The program shall include no more than 6.0 credits at the 100 level and must include the following:
BI110, BI111; which must include BI206, BI226, BI236, BI256, BI266, BI276 and at least 3.0 additional senior BI credits
CH110, CH111, CH202, CH203, CH212; one of CH213, CH215, CH332; CH225, CH226, CH250, CH261, CH262, CH350; and at least 1.5 additional senior CH credits.
Students intending to take CH490‡ should consider taking CH390 in Year 3 (refer to Note 4)
Both PC131 and PC132 (or both PC141 and PC142)
Both MA100 and MA101 (or both MA102 and MA103), MA287, ST231.
- Electives (2.0 credits in the program) must include at least 1.0 credit from outside of the major discipline(s) of which 0.5 credit must be from a discipline outside of those offered by the Faculty of Science.
- For progression into Year 2, Year 3 and Year 4, and for graduation, the cumulative GPA is calculated on the Biology and Chemistry courses combined. Progression into Year 2 requires a minimum average GP of 5.00 in CH110, CH111, BI110, BI111 and an overall GPA of 5.00. Progression into Year 3, Year 4 and Year 5 as well as graduation, requires a minimum average GP of 5.00 in Chemistry and Biology courses and an overall GPA of 5.00.
- Senior HN and senior WASC courses count as senior BI courses to fulfill program requirements; grades earned are included in the cumulative GPA in Biology.
- At least 3.0 credits in BI or CH at the 300 or 400 level must be successfully completed.
- Senior honours students are expected to attend all department seminars.
- Students who are not planning to enroll in CH490‡ in Year 4 must enroll in CH390 in Year 3. Students who plan to enroll in CH490‡ in Year 4 are encouraged to enroll in CH390 in Year 3 but are not required to do so and may replace CH390 with a 0.5 CH credit at the 300 or 400 level.
- The following is a suggested schedule within which all program requirements can be fulfilled. While other sequences are possible, many of the required courses have one or more prerequisites and students are advised to be cautious in departing from the recommended schedule.
2.5 senior credits in Biology
1.5 credits in Chemistry
The BI and CH credits may include BI499‡ or CH490‡, but not both (refer to Note 6)
1.0 elective credits approved by the Biology, or Chemistry and Biochemistry Departments (refer to Note 1 and the program description)