Honours BSc Biology
The Honours BSc Biology program consists of a minimum of 20.0 credits, including at least 9.5 senior Biology credits. This program offers students an integrative approach to the study of biology, linking processes at the molecular level to the structure of whole organisms and processes operating at the level of populations and communities. Students may use their senior Biology courses to fulfill the requirements for one of three concentrations and/or research specialization. The program shall include no more than 6.5 100-level credits and requires at least 13.5 senior credits. The program must include the following:
BI110, BI111; BI196, BI206, BI226, BI236, BI256, BI266, BI276, and at least 6.5 additional senior BI credits, of which at least 3.5 must be at the 300 or 400 level.
CH110, CH111, CH202, CH203, CH250, CH350;
MA100, MA101, ST231 and PC141 (or PC131) (PC141 recommended over PC131)
Degree Program Electives:
An additional 4.0 elective credits, refer to Note 2.
- For progression into Years 2, 3 and 4, and for graduation, a cumulative GPA of at least 5.00 in Biology and an overall GPA of at least 5.00 are required.
- Electives (4.0 credits in the program) must include at least 1.5 credits at the senior level and at least 1.0 credit from outside of Biology of which 0.5 credit must be from a discipline outside of those offered by the Faculty of Science. Suggestions for 1st year electives include PC142 for students planning health-related careers. GG101 is recommended for students with interests in the environmental sciences or physical geography.
- Senior HN and senior WASC courses count as senior BI courses to fulfill program requirements; grades earned are included in the cumulative GPA in Biology.
- For students considering graduate studies, it is recommended that the BI499‡ thesis be taken in Year 4. Students wishing to complete the thesis course should apply to the department to take BI499‡ by mid-February of Year 3. Admission to BI499‡ requires a minimum GPA in biology courses of 7.0 and will depend on the availability of supervisors. Admission decisions normally will be made by mid-March of Year 3.
- Senior honours students are expected to attend all departmental seminars.
- The following is a suggested schedule within which all program requirements can be fulfilled.
3.5 senior BI credits (refer to program requirements, and Notes 3, 4, and 5)
1.5 elective credit (refer to Note 2)