Honours BA English Combined with Vancouver Film School Diploma Program
Honours BA English with Vancouver Film School Diploma Program: Writing for Film, TV, and Games
Laurier has a partnership agreement through which Laurier students can complete, in 20.0 credits, the Honours BA in English at Laurier and VFSís Diploma Program in Writing for Film, Television, and Games.
Laurier students attend Year 1 and Year 2 at Laurier, Year 3 at VFS, and Year 4 at Laurier. The Honours English program consists of 20.0 credits, of which 15.0 credits are completed at Laurier and 5.0 can be completed at VFS.
Laurier Credits (15.0 credits)
The Honours English program consists of 20.0 credits, of which at least 14.0 credits must be at the senior level, including a minimum of 10.0 but no more than 14.0 credits in English courses, and no more than 1.0 may be at the 100 level. Students may also count up to 1.0 credit from senior FS courses towards their 10.0 English credits.
- 1.0 credit from Introductory EN courses: EN107, EN108, EN111, EN112, EN119, EN165 or EN190
- 1.0 credit from Category 1 courses (British Literature, pre-1660): EN214, EN233, EN234, EN245, EN344, EN372, EN388, EN390, EN392, EN393, EN394, EN395
- 1.0 credit from Category 2 courses (Literature after 1660, mainly British): EN246, EN292, EN293, EN298, EN299, EN345, EN346, EN396, EN397, EN399
- 1.0 credit from Category 3 courses (Canadian/American/Postcolonial/World Literature): EN211, EN213, EN218, EN252, EN261, EN263, EN265, EN266, EN267, EN280, EN313, EN322, EN324, EN330,EN335, EN347
- 1.0 credit from Category 4 courses (Theory/Gender/Genre), 0.5 of which must include EN301 and another 0.5 from: EN200, EN201, EN203, EN207, EN210, EN220, EN222, EN225, EN231, EN237, EN238, EN239, EN240, EN249, EN250, EN271, EN272, EN281, EN285, EN286, EN303, EN310, EN369, EN370, EN371, EN381
- 1.0 credit from 400-level courses (no more than 0.5 credit of which may be EN489). Note that some 400-level courses also satisfy specific category requirements for Categories 1 through 4.
- 4.0 additional credits from EN courses at the senior level (including the 2.5 EN credits and 0.5 FS credits earned at VFS).
Degree Program Electives: An additional 10.0 credits including non-major electives (including the 2.0 non-major credits earned at VFS) toward the degree total of 20.0 credits (of which no more than 5.0 credits can be at the 100 level).
Note: Students are encouraged to take EN245 and EN246 as part of their program. Students may also count up to 1.0 credit from senior FS courses (excluding FS275, FS370, FS371) and non-designated writing courses (EN206, EN304) toward the 10.0 required for the Honours English degree. Students doing the VFS Pathway in Writing are not eligible to do the English programís Concentration in Creative Writing, Minor in Writing for Career and Community, or Minor in Youth and Children: Texts and Contexts.
VFS Credits (5.0 credits)
VFS's Writing for Film, Television, and Games program counts as 5.0 credits towards the Honours BA in English (20.0 credits) as:
- 2.5 credits from English 200- or 300- level (senior) courses
- 0.5 credit equivalent to FS374 - Screenwriting and Directing
- 2.0 credits of non-major 200- or 300- level (senior) electives
- Students attending VFS in Year 3 must have maintained a minimum overall GPA of 5.0 as well as a minimum GPA of 5.0 in English.
- Students attending VFS in Year 3 must have completed a minimum of 10.0 credits overall, with a minimum of 4.0 credits in English.
- Refer to the University Regulations chapter for progression and course regulations and the earlier section regarding Regulations for All Honours Programs.