Honours BA English
The Honours English program consists of 20.0 credits, of which at least 14.0 credits must be at the senior level, and including a minimum of 10.0 but no more than 14.0 credits in English. Of the required 10.0 credits in English, no more than 1.0 may be at the 100 level, and no more than 1.0 may be chosen from among Film Studies courses. At least 1.0 credit must be chosen from the annual fourth-year offerings; EN489 may be used for only 0.5 credit.
Required EN Courses:
1.0 credit from Junior EN: EN107, EN108, EN111, EN112, EN119, EN165 or EN190
1.0 credit from Category 1 (Note: Not more than 0.5 credit in Category 1 may be taken from EN233 or EN234);
1.0 credit from Category 2;
1.0 credit from Category 3;
1.0 credit from Category 4; (0.5 credit of which must include EN301)
- Category 1 British Literature (Pre-1800):
EN214, EN233, EN234, EN245, EN344, EN372, EN388, EN390, EN392, EN393, EN394, EN395
- Category 2 Literature after 1800 (mainly British):
EN246, EN292, EN293, EN298, EN299, EN345, EN346, EN396, EN397, EN399
- Category 3 Canadian/American/Postcolonial/World Literature:
EN211, EN213, EN218, EN252, EN261, EN263, EN265, EN266, EN267, EN280, EN313, EN322, EN324, EN330, EN335, EN347
- Category 4 Theory/Gender/Genre: EN200, EN201, EN203, EN207, EN210, EN220, EN222, EN225, EN231, EN237, EN238, EN239, EN240, EN249, EN250, EN271, EN272, EN281, EN285, EN286, EN301, EN303, EN310, EN369, EN370, EN371, EN381
Degree Program Electives:
An additional 10.0 credits for the degree total of 20.0 credits, (4.0 credits may be EN and 5.0 credits may be 100 level).
- Students are encouraged to take EN245 and EN246 as part of their program.
- Students may choose a maximum of 1.0 credit from senior Film Studies courses and/or non-designated writing courses (EN206, EN304) toward the 10.0 required for the Honours English degree.
- Refer to the University Regulations chapter for progression and course regulations and the earlier section regarding Regulations for All Honours Programs.