Honours BA Humanities with Leadership Foundations and LLB (Sussex) Stream
The Honours BA Humanities with Leadership Foundations and LLB (Sussex) Stream enables students who successfully complete its requirements to earn an Honours Bachelor of Arts (BA) degree from Laurier and a Bachelor of Laws (LLB) degree from the University of Sussex, United Kingdom (UK) in six years.
The Honours BA in Humanities with Leadership Foundations is only available at the Brantford Campus. It consists of 20.0 credits of which no more than 7.0 credits may be at the 100 level. A minimum of 10.0 credits are required for the Humanities with Leadership Foundations major. All students in the program must complete successfully the Foundations curriculum: BF190, BF199, BF290, BF299.
Prior to departing for studies at the University of Sussex, students must have completed the 10.0 credits that are listed under Year 1 and Year 2 below. Due to the compacted nature of the Sussex Stream, students are strongly encouraged to pursue their degree in the following manner:
- Honours BA Humanities with Leadership Foundations and LLB (Sussex) Stream
- Progression Requirements
- Application to Sussex
|1||HMLD100, OL140, OL109/MB109, OL224/PD224;
BF190, BF199, BF290, BF299;
1.0 credit of elective –100 level courses chosen from any of EN, HI or PP strongly recommended.
|2||1.0 credit of Leadership courses at the 200 or 300 level;
4.0 credits chosen from EN, HI, or PP at the 200 or 300 level, (that must include a minimum of 0.5 credit from each of EN, HI or PP)
|3-5||Students pursue an LLB at the University of Sussex. Upon successful completion of their LLB, students will be awarded 5.0 transfer credits equivalent to 2.5 senior credits from the HMLD program requirements;
2.5 senior elective credits
0.5 credit chosen from EN, HI, or PP at the 200, 300 or 400 level or course chosen from program electives;
3.5 additional credits including courses to be offered by Laurier to prepare students to write the National Accreditation exams leading to legal practice in Canada.
- Progression to Year 2 requirescompletion of 5.0 credits during Year 1with a minimum cumulative GPA of 7.00 in all Humanities with Leadership Foundation program courses and a minimum cumulative GPA of 8.00 in all 5.0 credits. All credits taken during Year 1 will be included in the GPA requirements for progression into Year 2. These course and GPA requirements must be achieved by August 31.
- To be recommended for application to the Sussex LLB program in year three, students must have maintained a minimum overall GPA of 8.00 (B) over all credits completed over their first three full terms (i.e, minimum 7.5 credits). These course and GPA requirements must be achieved by December 31 of the student's second year.
- Refer to the University Regulations chapter for progression and course regulations and the earlier section regarding Regulations for All Honours Programs.
- Students will apply to Sussex via the standard Sussex application
procedures. Students will apply through the Universities and Colleges
Admissions Service (UCAS) for entry. Students will provide Sussex full
application documents, including high school and University transcripts,
references (Laurier students will submit references on a standardised
reference form), and a personal statement, in line with normal
admissions procedures. Sussex will consider applications according to
its normal procedures. Students will be guaranteed an offer of a place
if they meet the progression requirements described above and where
students have achieved Sussex's standard English language entrance
requirements, where appropriate.
- Note: The University of Sussex reserves the right not to provide a
guaranteed offer after consideration of any relevant unspent criminal
convictions a student may have. Sussex recommends that if students have a
conviction, Laurier contact the Admissions Office to discuss this
before proceeding further.
- Transfer Students into Year 2 (WLU only):
In exceptional cases, first-year students outside of the Sussex BA/LLB
Program may apply to transfer into the Program. Admission into the program is at the sole discretion of the Sussex Admissions Committee.
Normally, a student's application will not be accepted unless the
following non-exhaustive conditions are met:
Inquiries about a transfer into the Honours BA/LLB program should be made through the Academic Advising Centre. Application for transfer into Year 2 of the Honours BA/LLB program should be made by May 1 by submitting a Program Transfer Request Form.
- As of May 1 of the applicant's first year, the student has completed 5.0
- The student's overall GPA is at least 8.00, and at least 7.00 for all
courses within the student's major, and;
- The program at WLU or at Sussex has space for more students, and;
- The committee believes that the student will succeed in the program, according to any evidence it deems relevant. Inquiries about a transfer into the Honours BA/LLB program should be made through the Academic Advising Centre. Application for transfer into Year 2 of the Honours BA/LLB program should be made by May 1 by submitting a Program Transfer Request Form.
- As of May 1 of the applicant's first year, the student has completed 5.0 credits, and;
Senate Committee Revisions March 12, 2019: New joint program; effective September 1, 2019.