Honours BA Biology
The Honours BA Biology program consists of 20.0 credits, of which not more than 6.0 may be taken at the 100 level; the program includes at least 10.0 but no more than 11 senior Biology credits. Students may use their senior Biology courses to fulfill the requirements for one of three concentrations and/or research specialization. Students are required to complete a minimum of 3.0 credits from the Faculty of Arts.
BI110, BI111, BI226, BI236, BI256, BI266, BI276, BI296
0.5 credit in Philosophy (fulfills part of Faculty of Arts requirement)
HP201 or HP202 (fulfills part of Faculty of Arts requirement)
2.0 elective credits from the Faculty of Arts
- Senior courses in Biology may involve statistics, or an understanding of organic chemistry. Year 1 students are encouraged to consider taking MA100 and CH110 to prepare for taking further courses in these disciplines, as in some cases, ST231 or CH202 are required for success in senior Biology courses.
- Senior HN and senior WASC courses count as senior BI courses to fulfill program requirements; grades earned are included in the cumulative GPA in Biology.
- At least 2.0 senior BI credits must be at the 300 or 400 level.
- 3.0 senior BI credits must have a lab and/or field work component (not including BI499‡).
- Senior honours students are expected to attend all department seminars.
- The Faculty of Arts courses must include 2.0 senior credits.
- The following is a suggested schedule within which all program requirements can be fulfilled:
3.0 senior BI credits
2.0 elective credits (refer to Note 6)
4.0 senior BI credits
1.0 elective credit (refer to Note 6)
Senate Academic Planning Committee Revisions April 1, 2019: Note #2 revised; effective September 1, 2019.