Honours BSc Biology and Mathematics
The Honours BSc Biology and Mathematics program consists of a minimum of 20.0 credits, including at least 6.5 senior credits in each of Biology and Mathematics. Students may use their senior Biology courses to fulfill the
requirements for one of three concentrations and/or research
specialization. Not more than 6.0 credits may be at the 100 level (except refer to Note 2).
BI110, BI111, BI226, BI236, BI256, BI266, BI276, BI296 and at least 3.5 additional senior BI credits, which must include at least 2.0 BI credits at the 300 or 400 level, of which at least 1.0 must be at the 400 level.
CH110, CH111, CH202, CH203
MA103, MA104, MA121, MA122, MA201, MA215, MA222, MA250, ST259, ST260, MA323 and at least 3.0 additional senior MA or ST credits, which must include at least 2.0 at the 300 or 400 level, of which at least 1.0 must be at the 400 level.
- For progression into Year 2 of the program, the requirements include a minimum GPA of 5.00 in Year 1 MA or ST courses, and a minimum GPA of 5.00 in BI110 and BI111. For progression into Year 3 and Year 4, and for graduation, a minimum cumulative GPA of 5.00 in Biology, Mathematics and Statistics courses combined as well as an overall GPA of 5.00.
- If MA102 is taken in Year 1, the maximum number of credits at the 100 level in the program is 6.5.
- Senior HN and senior WASC courses count as senior BI courses to fulfill program requirements; grades earned are included in the cumulative GPA in Biology.
- Electives must include at least 1.0 credit from outside of the major discipline(s) of which 0.5 credit must be from a discipline outside of those offered by the Faculty of Science.
- Senior honours students are expected to attend all departmental seminars.
- Based on the results of the Calculus Preparation Evaluation, an entering student may be advised to complete MA102 prior to completing MA103; then MA102 would be completed in Fall term of Year 1, MA103 would be completed in Winter term of Year 1 and MA104 would be completed in Fall term of Year 2.
2.0 credits from the list of 200 level BI courses (BI226, BI266, BI236, BI256 are recommended)
MA201, ST259, ST260
Either a 0.5 senior MA or ST elective credit, or MA104 if not taken in Year 1 (refer to Note 6 below)
1.0 credit from the list of 200 level required BI courses (BI276 and BI296 are recommended)
1.0 senior BI elective credit
MA215, MA222, MA250
1.0 senior MA or ST credit (MA205 is recommended)
0.5 elective credit (0.5 senior MA or ST credit if MA102 taken in Year 1)
2.5 senior BI elective credits
MA323 and 1.5 senior MA or ST elective credits
0.5 elective credit
Senate Academic Planning Committee Revisions April 1, 2019: Note #3 revised; effective September 1, 2019.