The Management Option is normally a direct-entry program for students with an incoming average of low-mid 80s or above; the option is meant to be combined with a major from the Faculties of Arts, Science, Music or the department of Economics. Current Laurier students who are eligible, may apply for the option using the online Program Selection Form available through the Office of the Enrolment Services.
Students who have entered through direct-entry must have a minimum GPA of 6.0 in BU111 and BU127 to progress to senior BU courses [200-, 300- and 400-level]
For continuing students to be eligible to declare the option, a student must have a minimum GPA of 6.00 in BU111 and BU127. A student must also successfully complete a recognized statistics course from their program of study or EC205 from the Department of Business prior to admission. Entry to the program is competitive and students would typically apply at the end of Year 2. Only students in an honours degree will be considered for admission.
The Management Option consists of the following 4.0 credits (8 courses):
Required Courses (3.0 credits):
BU111 - Understanding the Business Environment
BU127 - Introduction to Financial Accounting
BU223 - Fundamentals of Finance (refer to Note 1)
BU225 - Fundamentals of Operations (refer to Note 2)
BU352 - Introduction to Marketing Management
BU354 - Human Resources Management
Any one of the following (0.5 credit):
EC120 - Introduction to Microeconomics
EC140 - Introduction to Macroeconomics
Course from the following (0.5 credit): EC205, EC255, EC285, KP390, MA241, PO218, PS296, ST230, ST231, ST260, SY382; or GESC254 and GESC258 (together only – 1.0 credit)
- Students wanting to substitute BU283 - Financial Management I for BU223 - Fundamentals of Finance must complete BU283 course prerequisites. Students who complete BU223 must still complete BU283 if they wish to pursue other third- and fourth-year finance courses. Consult a Business Department academic advisor.
- Students wanting to substitute BU375 - Operations Management for BU225 must complete BU375 course prerequisites. Students who complete BU225 must still complete BU375 if they wish to pursue other third- and fourth-year operations courses. Consult a Business Department academic advisor.
- Current students may apply for the option using the Program Selection Form available through the Office Enrolment Services AFTER ADMISSION REQUIREMENTS HAVE BEEN MET: BU111 and BU127 and the statistics requirement given above.
- Any 300-level course may not be taken prior to Year 3.
- A cumulative GPA of 7.00 in all BU courses applicable to the Management Option is required for graduation. A grade point of 5.0 is required in each of the economics and statistics courses. A maximum of 2 repeats is allowed across these course requirements.
- At least 3.5 of the 4.0 credits in the option must be completed at Wilfrid Laurier University.