Honours BSc Biology and Chemistry
The Honours BSc Biology and Chemistry program consists of a minimum of 20.0 credits, including at least 6.0 senior credits in Biology and 6.5 senior credits in Chemistry. Students may use their senior Biology courses to fulfill the requirements for one of three concentrations and/or research specialization. The program shall include no more than 6.0 credits at the 100 level and must include the following:
BI110, BI111; which must include BI226, BI236, BI256, BI266, BI276 and at least 3.5 additional senior BI credits
CH110, CH111, CH202, CH203, CH212, CH215, CH225, CH226, CH250, CH261, CH262, CH350; and at least 1.5 additional senior CH credits.
Students intending to take CH490‡ should consider taking CH390 in Year 3 (refer to Note 4)
Students intending to take BI499‡ must take BI296 or CH390 (refer to Note 4)
Both PC131 and PC132 (or both PC141 and PC142)
Both MA100 and MA101 (or MA110*), ST231.
2.0 senior credits in Biology
1.5 credits in Chemistry
The BI and CH credits may include BI499‡ or CH490‡, but not both (refer to Note 5)
1.5 elective credits approved by the Biology, or Chemistry and Biochemistry Departments (refer to Note 1 and the program description)
- Electives (2.5 credits in the program) must include at least 1.0 credit from outside of the major discipline(s) of which 0.5 credit must be from a discipline outside of those offered by the Faculty of Science.
- For progression into Year 2, Year 3 and Year 4, and for graduation, the cumulative GPA is calculated on the Biology and Chemistry courses combined. Progression into Year 2 requires a minimum average GP of 5.00 in CH110, CH111, BI110, BI111 and an overall GPA of 5.00. Progression into Year 3, Year 4 and Year 5 as well as graduation, requires a minimum average GP of 5.00 in Chemistry and Biology courses and an overall GPA of 5.00.
- Senior HN courses count as senior BI courses to fulfill program requirements; grades earned are included in the cumulative GPA in Biology.
- At least 3.0 credits in BI or CH at the 300 or 400 level must be successfully completed.
- Senior honours students are expected to attend all department seminars.
who plan to enroll in CH490‡ in Year 4 are encouraged (but are not
required) to enroll in CH390 in Year 3. By the end of the program, a
student must have credit for at least one of the following: BI296,
CH390, CH490‡, BI499‡. A student may have credit for only one of: BI296 or CH390.
- The following is a suggested schedule within which all program requirements can be fulfilled. While other sequences are possible, many of the required courses have one or more prerequisites and students are advised to be cautious in departing from the recommended schedule.
Senate Committee Revision April 10, 2017: MA122 deleted, ST change; effective September 1, 2017.