Honours BA Law and Society and LLB (Sussex) Stream
The Honours BA Law and Society, and LLB (Sussex) Stream enables students who successfully complete its requirements to earn an Honours Bachelor of Arts (BA) degree from Laurier and a Bachelor of Laws (LLB) degree from the University of Sussex, United Kingdom (UK) in six years.
Honours BA Law and Society Component
The Honours BA Law and Society program consists of 20.0 credits, including no more than 7.0 at the 100 level. The program must include a minimum of 10.0 and a maximum of 11.5 credits within the Law and Society (LY) program, including at least 9.0 senior credits.
All students in the program must complete successfully the Foundations curriculum: BF190, BF199, BF290, BF299.
Prior to departing for studies at the University of Sussex, students must have completed the 10.0 credits that are listed under Year 1 and Year 2 below. Due to the compacted nature of the Sussex Stream, students are strongly encouraged to pursue their degree in the following manner:
Honours BA Law and Society (Sussex) LLB Stream
|1|| LY100, LY101, BF190,
BF199, BF290, BF299,
2.0 elective credits
|2||LY201, LY202, OL233/HS233/CC233, LY300, LY307
2.5 LY credits at the 200 and 300 level, including a minimum of 1.0 LY credit at the 300 level.
|3-5||Students pursue an LLB at the University of Sussex. Upon successful completion of their LLB, students will be awarded 5.0 transfer credits equivalent to 2.5 senior LY credits and 2.5 senior elective credits.
1.0 additional LY credit at the 400 level
3.5 additional credits including courses to be offered by Laurier to prepare students to write the National Accreditation exams leading to legal practice in Canada
- Progression to Year 2 requires completion of 5.0 credits during Year 1 with a minimum cumulative GPA of 7.00 in all Law & Society courses and a minimum cumulative GPA of 8.00 in all 5.0 credits. All credits taken during Year 1 will be included in the GPA requirements for progression into Year 2. These course and GPA requirements must be achieved by August 31.
- To be recommended for application to the Sussex LLB program in Year 3, students must have maintained a minimum overall GPA of 8.0 (B) over all credits completed over their first three full terms (i.e., minimum 7.5 credits). These course and GPA requirements must be achieved by December 31 of the students' second year.
- Refer to the University Regulations chapter for progression and course regulations and the earlier section regarding Regulations for All Honours Programs.
- Students will apply to Sussex via the standard Sussex application procedures. Students will apply through the Universities and Colleges Admissions Service (UCAS) for entry. Students will provide Sussex full application documents, including high school and University transcripts, references (Laurier students will submit references on a standardised reference form), and a personal statement, in line with normal admissions procedures.
- Sussex will consider applications according to its normal procedures. Students will be guaranteed an offer of a place if they meet the progression requirements described above and where students have achieved Sussex's standard English language entrance requirements, where appropriate.
- Note: The University of Sussex reserves the right not to provide a guaranteed offer after consideration of any relevant unspent criminal convictions a student may have. Sussex recommends that if students have a conviction, Laurier contact the Admissions Office to discuss this before proceeding further.