Honours BSc Biochemistry & Biotechnology
The Honours BSc Biochemistry & Biotechnology program consists of a minimum of 20.0 credits with a minimum of 11.0 Chemistry and Biochemistry credits. Not more than 7.0 credits may be at the 100 level. All requirements are contained in the following recommended schedule (refer to Note 1):
BI110, BI111, CH110, CH111, both MA100 and MA101 (or MA110*); MA122;
PC131 (or PC141), PC132 (or PC142)
0.5 elective credit (refer to Note 5)
CH202, CH203, CH212, CH225, CH250, CH261, CH262
MA240 or MA241 or ST230
1.0 program elective (refer to Note 6)
CH327, CH350, CH351/BI346, CH354, CH355, CH356, CH357
0.5 elective credit (refer to note 5)
0.5 program elective credit (refer to note 6)
CH332, CH390, CH450, CH452, CH459
1.0 elective credit (refer to Note 5)
1.5 program elective credits (refer to Note 6)
- While the above schedule constitutes the recommended sequence
satisfying program requirements, other sequences are possible. Many of
the required courses have one or more prerequisites and students are
advised to be cautious in departing from the recommended schedule.
All required Mathematics and Physics courses must be completed by the end of Year 2.
- Progression into Year 2 requires a minimum combined GPA of 5.00 in CH110, CH111, BI110, BI111 and an overall GPA of 5.00. Progression into Year 3 and Year 4, as well as graduation, requires a minimum GPA of 5.00 in Chemistry and
Biochemistry courses and an overall GPA of 5.00.
- Progression into Year 3 and Year 4 in the Biochemistry &
Biotechnology Honours BSc program requires that all prerequisites for
the advanced courses be fulfilled by the end of Year 2.
- Electives must include at least 1.0 credit from outside of the major discipline(s) of which 0.5 credit must be from a discipline outside of those offered by the Faculty of Science.
- Program electives (3.0 credits) must include at least 1.0 credit from CH and at least 1.0 credit BI from the following list:
CH215, CH301, CH302, CH303, CH360, CH390, CH419, CH432, CH433/HE433, CH440, CH453, BI402/CH454, CH455, CH456, CH457, CH458, CH490‡, CH495 (Students who are not planning to enroll in CH490‡ must enroll in CH390).
BI226, BI236, BI276, BI338, BI374, BI393, BI402/CH454, BI476.
Senate Revision April 15, 2015: Progression and breadth requirements changed; effective September 1, 2015.
Editorial Revision June 24, 2015: ST230 added; effective September 1, 2015.
Editorial Revision October 1, 2015: CH433/HE433 added to Note #6; effective September 1, 2015.
Academic & Related Dates 2015/2016